Welcome to All Things Jabu.

A proudly South African blog about all things sport. From surfing to football to rugby to hockey, my thoughts are shared on all of these and more!


Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Jabu's 5 Favourite Sporting Fixtures


So as a warm up to my Currie Cup Final Preview (On Friday) I thought I would pick my 5 favourite sporting fixtures in a calendar year. Of course the countdown is from 5 back to 1. Please note these are completely biased to what I like and to my country!

5. Springboks vs the All Blacks

The All Blacks are the best team in the world for four years, and the Springboks are the best in the other. This game is what rugby is all about. Its physical, fast and tactically as good as it gets. The only thing missing is for the two best rugby nations in the world to meet each other in the World Cup Final! 2011 anyone?

4. The Proteas vs. Australia

They are the team who wins when it counts. They can be out of form but they still win. They are a team that we struggled against. But they are also a team we love to beat. It might not happen often enough, but playing Australia in cricket is something that is the pinnacle of the game. To be the best, you need to beat the best! All I have to say is 438.

3. Cheetahs vs. Lions

This is a big one for me. My group of friends all support the Lions and we have slowly but surely made it a bit of a tradition of attending the Lions home game. It is of course a tradition that is hurting me as both years have seen the Lions win with remarkable comebacks. The Cheetahs and Lions for many years played under the same Super 12 union of the Golden Cats. Ever since this it has been a rivalry worth noticing. Not always for trophies (except Currie Cup 2007), but an all out marathon of rugby anyway!

2. Kaizer Chiefs vs. Orlando Pirates

It might not be etched in history like my first choice, it still has a lot of history. Kaizer Moutang left Orlando Pirates and started a new team based on the team he played for in America, the Kansas City Chiefs. Kaizer Chiefs recently celebrated 40 years and while this in itself has not

caused the ire of Pirates fans, the success of Chiefs have. In the passed 10 years Chiefs have won countless trophies, Pirates have won one. November the 13th cant come quick enough!


1. Arsenal vs Tottenham Hotspurs

For any regular readers, you will know that I am a massive Gunners fan. And as all Gunners fans know, there is nothing in the world bigger than the North London Derby. For a full history of the North London Derby go here.

I have been asked before if I would want to see Tottenham relegated, but i really wouldn't! I want to play Spurs twice or three times a season and beat them just as many times. If Arsenal were to finish 10th, it would only be stomach-able if Tottenham finished lower. True story

Until Friday

Enjoy the sport

JABU

No comments:

Post a Comment