Welcome to All Things Jabu.

A proudly South African blog about all things sport. From surfing to football to rugby to hockey, my thoughts are shared on all of these and more!


Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Commonwealth Games - SA's got talent


As the commonwealth games held in Delhi got underway, I spent a moment reflecting on who I think would bring back medals for the South African team. So here they are my pick of medal winners, disappointingly my first three on the list would have been the Mulaudzi, Mokoena and Semenya but their injuries have meant we will have to look elsewhere!



7's rugby
I think this is a great place for us to target a team gold. Its been a tough year for the Sevens boks but I believe they are good enough to do us proud.

Hockey
Our women are looking mighty impressive, are in to the top 10 in the world and could easily sneak a 3rd place in the games. Our men will need to perform above themselves, but a good run of form could see them sneak a medal for our proud nation.

Netball.
I'm sorry, but we don't have a chance. We needed to beat England today, we got thumped. A looming match against the world champions New Zealand awaits. Unfortunately I cant see us getting through this one.

Athletics
My pick would be Commonwealth champion LJ van Zyl (Hurdles), Sunette Viljoen (Javelin) and Elizna Naude (Discuss) as our realistic medal hopes. But Athletics SA will be hurt by the withdrawal of the Big 3.

Lawn Bowls
We are quite good at this and if we can get a good start there is no reason why we cant win any medals. We have men and women in singles, pairs and triples. I would back South Africa to win 3 medals in these 6 events through the likes of Gideon Vermuelen and Gerald Baker

Swimming
Once again this will be our flagship sport with medals going for Le Clos and Du Toit as well as the 4x100 relay already. We can expect more medals from Flag carrier Cameron van der Bergh, Jean Basson, Darian Townsend, Roland Schoeman as well as more for Chad Le Clos and Natalie du Toit.

Archery and Boxing
We have four athletes taking part in each of these disciplines, but I unfortunately know nothing of this sport! Lets hope for a few medals here!

Cycling Track
Well we have a decent sized team here it will be very difficult for our team against the Australians, New Zealanders and the English! Maybe we can sneak a medal in?

Shooting
We have won shooting medals in the past and I would like to see two medals between the four competitors.

Table Tennis
I cant believe we have a team. They are unknown from my side, but lets hope they can beat the Asian contingent!

Weightlifting and Wrestling
I'm again not well informed on these sports but with the sizable contingent that we have lets hope for 5 medals from this lot

GENERAL

In 2006 in Melbourne we won 12 gold, 13 silver and 13 bronze. Our goal has to be an improvement on this. We finished 5th overall behind England, Canada, India and Australia. Our best hope is to move into the top 4 this time round.

I believe we have a strong side with a great balance and we can achieve a lot. To follow the happenings go here.

Until next time. Enjoy the Sport

JABU

No comments:

Post a Comment